How Critical Languages Series Online Works
Critical Languages Series Online can be used by independent learners studying at home, but is also designed for use by students in a classroom environment (traditional or modified self-instructional).
You can create an account and sign up for a course in minutes--simply choose "Courses Available for Subscription" on the home page, and then select the language course you want.
All parts of your course are accessible at any time, so you can go at your own pace, accessing any lesson, exercise, or supplement at any time. The following is a walk-through covering the basics of using a course.
- Read the author's introduction and any preparatory lessons.
- Go to Unit 1, and click on "Text, Audio, and Video"
- Watch the video of the lesson. Try to figure out what is going on, using contextual clues such as gestures, facial expressions, and setting. You can scroll the lesson text to read it while the video plays.
- Read the text in Sentence and Word views, and click on any underlined text to hear it spoken. Practice your pronunciation, and try to figure out the meaning of the text. Right-click on any word or sentence to hear it spoken in English.
- Read the text in Footnote view. Click on any underlined text to reveal relevant cultural or grammatical information. Footnotes can also link to pictures, videos, and other lessons.
- Learn more by exploring the links at the end of the lesson, or in the "Supplemental Materials" section.
- Return to the course main page. Test your knowledge and comprehension by doing the Multiple Choice, Fill-in, and other exercises.
Watch video demonstrations
to see how it works in action!
Try our sample lessons
to experience it for yourself!